Small Business Guide to the Direct Debit Guarantee
Businesses using the Direct Debit scheme go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised and are closely monitored by the banking industry. The efficiency and security of Direct Debit is then monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.
The Direct Debit Guarantee applies to all Direct Debits. It protects you in the rare event that there is an error in the payment of your Direct Debit. It can’t be used to address contractual disputes between you and a billing organisation – the Guarantee simply covers Direct Debit payments.
Direct Debit Guarantee
- The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
- If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
- If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by letting your bank or building society know. You may be asked to confirm the cancellation in writing and as a ‘belt and braces’ exercise you should also notify the organisation collecting the Direct Debit